Community

Community » Dietitian's Corner » Carbohydrates: Should they be eliminated or not?

Carbohydrates: Should they be eliminated or not?

mbrughPosted: 05/22/2020 05:06 PM
I've been researching weight loss, and there is a clinical approach that eliminates or drastically reduces carbohydrates in your diet.

I used DC in the 80s and was very successful. Does the current Diet Center program mention specific amounts of carbs? I am having a little trouble finding that info. I looked through the FAQs and didn't see anything. Thanks for the help!
Please Login to reply to this thread.
DietitianPosted: 05/26/2020 06:30 PM
The Exclusively You and Instant Shape Up programs were revised in 2003 to be reduced in carbohydrates (to about 45%). Diet Fast is a little more restrictive at about 38% carbohydrate, and the 21 Day Diet is most restrictive at 30% carbohydrate. Carbohydrates should not be eliminated from a diet because they provide essential vitamins and minerals. It is more important to focus on healthy, nutrient dense carbohydrate sources such as fruits, vegetables, low fat dairy and whole grains. Once you have reached your goal weight, it's best to consume an intake in line with the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, which recommends 45-65% of your total calories come from carbohydrates.